Friday, August 26, 2016

When I was a pupil at the college

When I was a pupil at the college

When I was a pupil at the college



Relief should without loss of time be afforded by the use of the catheter. When I was a pupil at the college, the professor used to assert that the introduction of such an instrument was in the dog a physical impossibility. The bone found in the penis of this animal, the gentleman instructed his pupils to believe, opposed an obstacle which could not be overcome. My former teacher, however, was in error. He had either never made the trial, or he had not judgment sufficient to conduct an operation which, when properly undertaken, is remarkably easy and simple. I believe I was the first practitioner in England who used the catheter for the dog, though prior to my doing so, reports were published of the instrument having been employed in France. On the Continent, however, I have heard of no one who had thought of introducing a catheter into the bladder of the bitch. That also I have done; and find the operation to be unattended with danger or difficulty. The method of operating upon the female will be explained in another place. Here I have to speak of the mode in which the male is to be relieved.


No comments:

Post a Comment